After going over a couple ideas and get feedback on the design for the blade edge (made three rough drafts from insulation foam), I went and began shaping the blade.
A light held close to the edge of the blade helped show details, and I funetuned the edge with files and sandpaper.
The elven text was "engraved" by woodburning, since woodburning creates recess in the wood.
I tried out using bondo to build up the grip, but in the future I'll just go and use wood, it would be less of a pain ^^;
Here i sprayed a coat of Kilz.. its thick, and can be sanded down really smoothly. between coats of paint I took a needle and scraped out the paint, to make sure it didn't get completely filled in.
After sanding the blade smooth, I laid down a coat of satin black, which takes aluminum powder nicely
I then used aluminum powder and rubbed it onto the blade with my finger when it was almost dry (but not too tacky)
Though there appears to be silver powder stuck in the engraved areas, it was later blown out with a can of compressed air. I left it looking a bit worn, since the character looked to me like he wouldn't be toting fresh out of the blacksmiths shop weapons...
Now Its on to the grips!. Here's a big pile of strips i cut to wrap the handles with
I laid down double sided tape onto the handle, and pretty much trial and errored my way into wrapping the handles. I started in the middle, and worked my way out :)
Think I got lucky when it all interlaced correctly on the other side!
I found the perfect bits from the scrapbooking section of Michael's to add to the handles. ..
Drilled holes into these square headed brads, and inserted some zirconias into the holes. They got glued into holes drilled through the handle
AAnnnd the finished blade!