Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Temari's Fan- Naruto

I was commissioned to make Temari's fan from the anime series Naruto.



This was originally going to be a modification of one of those large fans that you can find at asian trinket shops, but I completely didn't trust it to hold up the rigors of cosplaying.

An 11th hour idea that came to me to use slats from a set of window blinds.



Since the ones i got were faux wood (plastic), i added some spokes that were wooden molding for support. I stacked them up and drilled a hole through the set of spokes.



after bolting it, I laid out the curve onto paper.



I mounted fabric to the front of paper, to give it strength



The purple dots were added by ironing on pieces of purple fabric with some heat & bond sheets.



made sure to measure out the spacing carefully, then used a straight edge to fold the fabric.



After tapering the spokes to ensure that the fan can close, I used double sided adhesive tape to secure the spokes to the fan.

aand thats about it! One really big fan!





After taking this photo, I had to let the gal who commissioned know that it would be unwise to open it outside. There was a slight breeze outside, and it was a challenge trying to make sure that the wind didn't take off with it...


15 comments:

Brandon Wheeler said...

Hey you weren't by chance in the engineer guy store yesterday were you? I could have sworn I saw this lady with another guy in there yesterday.

fev said...

Hello Brandon!

Yes, my fiance & I went down there yesterday, after hearing of the place from a friend a couple weeks earlier. Had considered asking you what you were making, since Sarah was showing me examples of things other customers had made...

Lily MoonDance said...

Wow! you are so talented!

Anonymous said...

WOW! You're brilliant! I've heard of many other ideas for doing this but yours by far makes the most bloody sense. Its simple and the easiest to understand.

I have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind? Is the pattern on the front AND back, or is it like a regular fan where the bones show on one side?

I also didn't quite understand this note:

"Since the ones i got were faux wood (plastic), i added some spokes that were wooden molding for support. I stacked them up and drilled a hole through the set of spokes."

What do you mean spokes?

Holly Batali said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I have been losing sleep over this stupid fan for months! This makes things so much simpler!

Unknown said...

can I ask how much you charge to make one like that?

dolphine_487848 said...

Hi... May I know what is the actual Height of the fan when it is closed? As in the Length of your Frame...=D Thanks!!

sry said...

how much does it weigh

Unknown said...

Can u please make a YouTube video because this was helpful and all but I still need help with a couple things

Unknown said...

Can u please make a YouTube video because I need some more of a visual aid to make this fan it looks very strong

Unknown said...

So u used a form of wood blinds? Not plastic?

Unknown said...

So u used a type of wooden blinds., instead of plastic?

Unknown said...

When you were folding the fan I didn't really get how you folded it.

Nugget said...

amazing!

vincent martinus said...

Send it to me plzz at kerinci ill pay

Post a Comment